Wednesday 9 April 2014

Sonnets

Note: These sonnets were inspired greatly by multi-syllabic and internal rhyme- loving poets, especially hip hop artist MF Doom and Edgar Allan Poe. You will note themes from both of these artists appear in the sonnets below.




While I stumbled in a night, dark and dreary,
With only streetlights and my thoughts for company,
And only deserted lots that could hear me,
As an edgeless shot brought me agony.

I walked forward, though little I could really see,
The edgeless sword aching inside of me,
But then I walked backwards, towards the sea.
Erasing the imprint of what I had been.

I went backwards now, away from the night,
So dreary and dark, a meaningless question mark,
Away from the devils and fright,
That lay out there, grinning in the dark.

So I escaped my night, dark and dreary,
And now here I ponder; weak, but not yet weary.



There's a clown dancing on Bourbon Street,
Painting the town red, drinking herself to sleep,
Falling into beds drenched in Orleans heat,
She screams silently; you won't hear a peep.

I knew this clown before it found it's mask,
I gave it a pound of flesh from my chest,
I never got a ducket in return, I never asked,
For much from it, and you know the rest.

Last night I saw it, in a stumbling dance,
On the right of a corner in Larraways Bend,
She fell from flight into a hopeless trance,
She fell one more time, and that was the end.

Sometimes I think I may have been that clown,
Hoping, wishing, staining my town,

But I let that clown die on Bourbon Street,
Covered in New Orlean's heat.



No comments:

Post a Comment